Independent Support

Apprenticeships and Traineeships
Careers local
Free CV and careers advice
Redundancy support
IAG qualifications and training courses
Work experience support
ESF Community Grant Fund
Independent Support
Aspire - Education Business Partnership
Nottingham Jobs

Independent Support for Nottingham City and Nottinghamshire County area

The Special Educational Needs revised Code of Practice 2014 recommends that all parents of children and young people with special educational needs (SEN), and young people themselves, who are being assessed or going through the transfer of a Statement of SEN or Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA) to an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan should have access to an Independent Supporter.

What can an Independent Supporter do?

Independent Supporters are independent of the decision-making professionals and are there to give parents and young people impartial information, advice and support to help them through the EHC needs assessment process.

For some families, an initial visit and occasional telephone contact may provide the level of support they need. Other families may need more frequent face-to-face contact.

How long will the Independent Supporter be involved?

An Independent Supporter will only be available to families during the EHC assessment period. Support ends when the Education, Health and Care Plan has been finalised or if it is decided an EHCP is not necessary.

How can I access an Independent Supporter?

Families who live within Nottinghamshire or the City of Nottingham can request an Independent Supporter (for the parent/carer, the young person or both) using the contact details below. The Co-ordinator will allocate you an Independent Supporter as quickly as possible and arrange for her/him to make contact with you.

Want to find out more?

Call 0115 9601869/0115 8041740, email: or go to: